Sunday, November 05, 2006

Italics Mine - Two Years On

Italics mine was two years old on October 6th. I forgot about it until I got phone calls telling me the domain name I'd bought two years ago, Italicsmine.com, was about to expire; send money now. I didn't, the name is out-there, if anyone wants it.

Sometimes life slaps you upside-da-hade and sometimes it runs it's fingers through your hair. I have a new career and for someone my age that's very cool. Both of my brothers and some good friends got dusted from theirs when they turned fifty; In some industries your experience makes you too expensive and employers think they can get better value with a thirty something or two. I'm very fortunate.

My previous employer was based in Toronto and I was their Ottawa rep. They had reneged on several points which I considered conditions of employment, and had become somewhat abusive, so when I received the offer for my current job, there was a huge weight lifted off me, at least for a while.

Four days after I got the job offer my mother died. She had suffered with what is called dementia for about five years. I have a problem with the word; she was there and knew what was going on but had a severe problem of expression; as far as a listener was concerned she spoke gibberish for the last two years, but as far as she was concerned she wasn't. There were some days when she communicated flawlessly.

Her leaving has been very hard on my dad; they were two months short of sixty-two years together; he visited her every day at the nursing home. The last three years have taken a toll on him as the caregiver. The summer and fall are something of a blur to me with the new job and new family dynamic; I'm my dad's best friend now.

Both my sense of humour and sense of outrage have left me; hence the reduced number of posts over the last few months. It will be while before I return to blogging regularly; It holds no importance any more.

Perhaps I'll do it again when and if I get my mojo back.

3 Comments:

At 12:02 PM, Blogger Temujin said...

Both my sense of humour and sense of outrage have left me;

Understandably so.

The mojo will return, you've got way more important things to concern yourself with.

Take care.

 
At 10:58 PM, Blogger Dawn said...

I'm so sorry to hear of your mother's passing, Blair. That's got to be very hard on you. They say it's very hard to lose a parent and your commentary makes it seem rightly so.

I admire the way you talk about your mother's dementia. It seems that the gift of empathy is strong with you and that's both a blessing and a curse.

I hope that both you and your Dad will find comfort in your memories of her and know that she would want you to be happy.

In the meantime, the blog will certainly wait. It seems you have much to come to terms with these days -- the writing can be both helpful and hurtful at the same times sometimes. Take your time and know that you're in the prayers of many people.

God bless and keep you,
Dawn (aka "ConservaChick")

 
At 1:25 AM, Blogger haha said...

....................................................................................................

 

Post a Comment

<< Home